About the Programme
The Diploma course is offered by Distance Learning on a part-time basis, and takes ten months to complete.
In addition to the coursework contained in modules, students are required to complete assignments and a written examination. All teaching and assessment is conducted online. Upon successful completion of all elements of the program, students are eligible to graduate with an IOC Diploma in Mental Heath in Elite Athletes.
Lectures will consist of computer-based presentations with audio and video, and will incorporate self-assessment and interactive elements where appropriate.
Students will be provided with a comprehensive portfolio of reading material in electronic format. Core course textbooks and a subscription to the British Journal of Sport and Exercise Medicine will also be provided to all students as part of the registration fee.
If you need clarification on any content within this section, please email the Program Administrator who will be happy to answer any questions.
The Program is aimed at sports medicine physicians or other physicians who work with athletes, and licensed practitioners who are qualified to provide mental health services (e.g., clinical or counselling psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, licensed mental health counsellors, psychiatric mental health nurses). Health care training varies geographically and by discipline, and the program will take into account the different backgrounds of those who enrol.
Students enrolling in this program will normally be in possession of a degree or equivalent qualification in medicine and/or a sports medicine/mental health field from a recognised University and will be eligible for professional registration/licensure as a health care practitioner.
The language of instruction will be English. Students whose native language is not English, or whose degree program was not taken at an English-speaking institution, should provide evidence of competence in English, e.g. TOEFL at 500 or above, ILET6 at 6 or above, GCSE or equivalent in English language.
The following list contains the main English language qualifications which are acceptable pre-requisites for entry onto the Diploma Program. Other English Language Qualifications held by applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the Program Directors or Academic Advisory Board.
- English as first language or successful completion of High School and/or Degree Level Education in English Language
- UK based O-level, GCSE or Standard Grade English Language - Grade C or above.
- International GCSE English as a Second Language - Grade C or above.
- International Baccalaureate (IB): Grade 4 minimum in English Language
- IELTS band 6 or above, provided that no individual band score is less than 6
- TOEFL (including the Tests in Written and Spoken Practice), minimum score of 500 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test) or 94 (internet-based test)
- Test in English for Educational Purposes (TEEP) - Grade 3
- Oxford Certificate of English as a Foreign Language at Higher Level
- University of London - School Examinations Board Certificate of Attainment in English, grade 5
- Passes in the Cambridge Higher School Certificate at Subsidiary level or in the Cambridge Overseas School Certificate count as O levels.
For any admissions enquiries please email our Admissions Administrator
1st August 2020 - Applications Open
August 15th 2021 - Application deadline
September 1, 2021 - Program begins
June 2022 - Written examination
Autumn 2022 - Graduation
Tuition fees will be payable upon registration, and cover the following:
- Tuition and supervision for all modules, together with supporting documentation and all course textbooks
- All costs relating to the marking of assignments and examinations (excluding resits)
- Issue of an award certificate
The fees charged for the Diploma program will be reviewed at the beginning of each intake of students and can be expected to rise in line with inflation.
Tuition fees for the program beginning in September 2021 are indicated below. VAT is chargeable to all UK and EC based students at the current rate of 20%